Brief History of the Yucca Council
The first charter application on file is dated August of 1918 and covers a report of activity during the year 1917. The Council composed of only El Paso County and there were 8 troops registered at that time. Mr. Glenn O. Everyman was the first Scout Executive and served until 1923. At the time he left, the Council included Dona Ana County, El Paso County, and two Mormon colonies in Mexico - Colonia Juarez and Colonia Dublan. At the end of 1922, there were 35 troops and 673 Scouts in the Council; this included 31 troops and 523 Scouts in the city of El Paso.
The Yucca Council currently serves the Texas counties of El Paso and Hudspeth, as well as the counties of Dona Ana, Grant, Luna, Otero, and Sierra in New Mexico. The Yucca Council serves more than 6,000 Scouting members, including more than 4,000 youth in over 220 Scouting Units.
Since 1921, the Yucca Council prides itself in supporting Scouting:
230,000 adults have served as volunteers
300,000 Merit Badges have been earned by our Boy Scouts
700,000 youth have benefited from their participation in Scouting
950,000 rank advancements earned by our Scouts
1,000,000+ pounds of food collected through Scouting for Food
7.7 million hours of community service provided by our Scouts and volunteers